Thursday, June 14, 2007

That's The Rock Warriors Way


By Sarah

Over the last few months I have been reading a book called The Rock Warrior's Way by Arno Ilgner. If you're a climber and have heard of it but haven't found the time to read it, get on it! The book explores something we as climbers seldom consider, the mental side of climbing.

My start in climbing was through bouldering and subsequently, competition climbing, where I spent several years trying to find that elusive program that would make me stronger. I spent countless hours in the climbing gym honing my body so as to wipe out my competitors. I found myself in a bubble of comparison and competition.

One year ago, I took a bad fall in a remote corner of the Coast Mountains. My bubble burst as I was airlifted out of with a broken arm, a battered body and a wounded ego. Months later fear dominated my climbing, which no amount of strength and social comparison would overcome. A friend recommended that I read The Rock Warrior's Way.

A year ago, I climbed in order to be the best. The book challenged me to reevaluate my purpose in climbing. Through this process, I have begun to see my climbing in a new light, where strength and skill on rock are as important as mastering my mind and taking each climb as a chance to enhance myself rather than prove my worth.

Pakistan 2007 fits in fits ideally with my new understanding as our team not only seeks to explore new and challenging environments but also sees the expedition as a chance to grow and learn. A tick list is just that---a list. Our strength of mind and attitudes towards learning are what really count.

Thanks to everyone who has supported this trip.

1 comment:

lynsey said...

Hi,
I am a professional skier who has recently had to remind myself of exactly what you were speaking of regarding learning to use your sport to elevate you as a person rather than to be the best.
thank you for your refreshing words and the strength to share them.
(if you're looking for more like yourself check out shejumps.com)